Supporting our local community
As a business firmly rooted in Hull and East Yorkshire, the values of the Horncastle Group PLC are built firmly on supporting and investing in our wider community.
We do this via the commercial developments we create, which enable companies to grow, create employment, invest and power the region’s economy. We also directly support organisations, causes and initiatives that bring economic, social and health benefits to our region via donations from Horncastle Group PLC and via the WA Horncastle Charitable Settlement, a charity established by Horncastle Group PLC founder, Tony Horncastle OBE.
Currently, projects that the shareholders and directors of the company are involved in include:
- Supporting the Daisy Appeal, a charity set up to provide a new building complete with a state-of-the-art PET-CT scanner at Castle Hill Hospital near Hull, helping to provide quicker diagnosis and better health outcomes for people suffering from cancer, heart disease and dementia.
- Supporting the Prince’s Trust to operate both its Enterprise Programme and Development Award Scheme in the region.
- We have run two programmes working with local charity CAT ZERO to introduce young people to self-employment and assist them in setting up their own businesses.
- Supporting St Paul’s Boxing Academy in the multi-million-pound regeneration of their gym, which supports young people from some of the most deprived areas of Hull.
- Supporting Run With It, a charity harnessing football and the KCOM Stadium to raise numeracy, literacy and ICT in children, teenagers and young adults.
- We are a sponsorship partner with Ron Dearing UTC which provides students with employer-led education.
- We are a supporting partner of Lagoon Hull, a £1.5bn proposed causeway to be built in the Humber Estuary that will provide flood defence benefits, relieve congestion, help the Humber region achieve a carbon-free future and provide place making opportunities for the next 100 years.
As well as this, our Chairman, Andrew Horncastle, is also a founder member of For Entrepreneurs Only (FEO), a business mentoring group set up to help entrepreneurs start and grow their businesses. FEO is dedicated to powering the local economy by creating a private sector renaissance. The organisation is made up of entrepreneurs who collectively turnover £3.5bn annually and employ more than 22,000.
As a business, we are members of the Bondholder network, which works to promote the region and enhance the local economy and, through engagement with organisations such as the Humber Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), local authorities and MPs, we contribute intelligence and ideas to on how we believe the economic prosperity of the region can be enhanced.
Chairman Andrew Horncastle at a fundraiser for St Paul’s Boxing Academy
Recent news from the Horncastle Group
A major refurbishment project has got underway to modernise a Hull boxing gym that played an integral role in Luke Campbell’s Olympic success. With more than 400 members – a quarter of them female – St Paul’s Boxing Academy is the largest boxing gym outside London and is the oldest club in Hull, having started in 1948. But over [...]
East Yorkshire’s latest High Sheriff has been sworn in – in a very unusual ceremony. Andrew Horncastle MBE took over as High Sheriff of the East Riding of Yorkshire from Sue Stephenson on Thursday 9th April in a ceremony conducted over video conferencing software Zoom. The handover was due to take place at the Tickton Grange Hotel, near Beverley, [...]
It was a very special day for our Chairman, Andrew Horncastle, today as he received his MBE for services to charity and business in the community in East Yorkshire from Her Majesty, The Queen. The investiture was held at Buckingham Palace this morning and it was a very proud moment for Andrew and his family. We are all immensely proud [...]
Horncastle Group were delighted to continue their support of the HDM Business Awards in 2019 by once again jointly sponsoring Start-up Business of the Year with MKM Building Supplies. This year, there were three finalists in the event held at the Double Tree by Hilton, Hull last night - Frontier Modular Services, Hothams Gin School & Distillery and National Event [...]